Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hey stranger! Here's a copy of my resume!

That sound weird to you?  Because it does to me.

I closed my LinkedIn account today.  I've had it for a few years, and had some connections and recommendations and all of that.  And I know the conventional wisdom says that one must market oneself within an inch of one's life at all times. 

But really: no.

I don't need to have my resume, and all of my recommendations, out there for everyone to find all of the time.  If I want to apply for a job, I will apply for a job.  If someone wants to offer me a job out of the blue and I'm the right candidate, they'll find me.

If I am not self-promoting every minute, I won't disappear.  I will do just fine, even if I don't have my entire professional history and every notable accomplishment ever out there for constant evaluation.   

No comments:

Post a Comment